HOME

Welcome to the Hands off my Workmate Conference & Teach In Website.

ORGANISING FOR MIGR
ANT WORKERS RIGHTS

Saturday 17th October 2009, School of Oriental and African Studies, Thornhaugh St, Russell Square, London
10am to 5.30pm

In June this year, cleaners at SOAS who
had joined UNISON and organised to win the London Living Wage suffered a brutal immigration raid, organised by the cleaning contractor ISS. The raid highlighted both the central role of migrant workers in the global economy and the vulnerability of the undocumented workers who have been working to build union organisation. The Hands of my Workmate conference & teach-in has been called by the three SOAS campus unions to address the issues surrounding migrant labour, attacks on their citizenship and right to organise and the ways in which all workers are impacted by the extension of the border into our workplace.

Speakers include: Jeremy Corbyn MP I Jean Lambert ME
P I Prof Gilbert Achcar I Migrant Rights Network I Clara Osagiede, RMT I Sandy Nicoll, SOAS UNISON I UNITE Justice for Cleaners Campaign I Prof Alex Callincos I RMT I Sasha Callaghan, UCU NEC I Rita Chada, RAMFEL I NUT I CWU I NUJ I Elane Heffernan, Hands off My Workmate I Prof Jane Hardy I Bloomsbury Living Wage Campaign I Habib Rahman, JCWI I Latin American Workers Association I Kate Boothby, National Coalitin of Anti-Deportation Campaigns I Dr Subir Sinha I Dr Paru Raman I Prof Phil Marfleet.

CLOSED SESSION FOR MIGRANT WORKERS: LEGAL BRIEFING
2.30PM
A coalition of top immigration lawyers will assist participants in obtaining quality legal advice

Latest News: The latest leaflet for the Hands of my Workmate Conference & Teach In is now available. Please click on the thumbnail image:


A model motion supporting the Hands of my Workmate Conference for trade union branches is now available by clicking on the 'MOTION' link on the right hand side of the website.